Desert friendly Xeriscape Conversion
Replace turf grass with desert friendly xeriscape landscaping and receive money back on your water bill.
Desert friendly Xeriscape Conversion Rebates
Water Authority residential customers who convert their landscapes to desert friendly xeriscape and use drip irrigation can qualify for a $2.00 per square foot rebate.
The rebate area of your new landscape must have 50 percent coverage (at maturity) of qualifying low- to medium-water-use plants, and the soil between and beneath all plants must be covered with at least three inches of mulch (organic mulch, gravel etc.).
If you are interested in participating in the Desert Friendly Xeriscape Conversion Rebate, please do not start your turf removal project until you have applied online to the program and received an official Notice to proceed. Several conditions must be met in order to qualify for the desert friendly xeriscape rebate.
Projects that have been started or completed are not eligible for the incentive. Other terms and conditions will apply. After submitting your application online an inspection will be schedule if your project meets minimum requirements. The visit may take up to 3 weeks or more to schedule during the busiest part of the season. Water Authority conservation rebate requirements are subject to change without notice. Rebates are limited to available funds.
Using native and other drought-tolerant plants can significantly reduce water use.
Mimimizing the use of bluegrass lawns and other thirsty plants will reduce the time you spend watering, fertilizing and mowing.
Desert friendly landscapes not only lower your water bill but can also reduce maintenance costs and increase the beauty and value of your property.
Save a $2.00 per square foot!
GET STARTED USING THE STEPS BELOW!
DOES YOUR LANDSCAPE MEET THE REQUIREMENTS?
Do you have an existing operating SPRAY irrigation system on your site?
Do you have grass turf on your site? (Rebates cannot be given to work that is already complete.)
If you answered YES to the above questions then Go to Step 1.
Got more questions? Call 842-9287 OPTION #4 to learn more or check out the Rebate Requirements listed in the blue box on this page.
Step 1: DEVELOP A LANDSCAPE PLAN.
Draw a simple landscape plan, or submit a plan designed by a professional. Use the approved desert friendly plants from our Xeriscaping Guide plant list. List each plant (using the scientific name) and rebate allowance points on the application.
Step 2: START YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION.
Click here to set up your online application.
Step 3: SCHEDULE YOUR INITIAL INSPECTION. (CALL 505-289-3026)
Before calling be sure you have set up and filled out your online application. Then call 505-289-3026 to schedule the initial inspection at your property with our xeriscape inspector. Initial inspections occur between 8am and 2pm Monday through Friday. Please allow one to two weeks for availability.
Step 4: PROCEED WITH YOUR PROJECT.
Once your online application has been approved, you may begin your project. Funding will be reserved for the anticipated amount of your rebate. You have six months after your application is approved to complete your project. If your project takes longer than six months, you may apply for a project extension provided funds are still available.
Step 5: SCHEDULE YOUR FINAL INSPECTION AFTER COMPLETING THE PROJECT. (CALL 505-289-3026)
Have hard copies of material receipts or contractor’s final paid invoice available at time of final inspection. Following final inspection and application approval, the ABCWUA will apply the rebate credit to your water bill. Your rebate should appear on your water bill one to two billing cycles after your form is processed.
How to Apply?
Click HERE to apply.
The Water Authority is pleased to provide an online application for rebates.
Once you have registered and submitted your online application, you will be able to conveniently track your rebate.
You will need the property address and Water Authority account number as printed on the bill.
Get $2.00 square foot for every square foot of qualifying
Desert Friendly Xeriscape Conversion Rebate
Convert your high-water-use landscape with desert friendly xeriscape landscape and receive a rebate. Follow the steps above to participate. When participating in the desert friendly xeriscape rebate programs, you’ll also be able to get rebates for rental equipment, and bulk organic mulch.
Pre-Desert friendly Xeriscape Conversion Consultation
Need advice on where to start? Contact the Water Authority Xeriscape Specialist at AskAnExpert@abcwua.org.
desert friendly xeriscape conversion participants Quality for additional rebates listed below
Get 25% off the cost of renting equipment for removal of grass (e.g. sodcutter, backhoe or Bobcat) up to $100.
We understand turf conversions to desert friendly landscapes can require specific tools to get the job done, we’d like to help support you in your conversion by giving your a rebate for that equipment you may rent.
Get 25% off the cost of installing bulk organic mulch up to $100.
Please review the following requirements:
1. Irrigation water shall be provided by the Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Authority.
2. Any turf grass removed shall be designated high water use, according to our Xericaping Guide plant list, and currently watered with spray-type irrigation.
3. Fifty percent of the project rebate area shall be covered by plants, as they appear at maturity. Select qualifying Rainwater, low, and medium water usage plants from our Xeriscaping Guide plant list, and claim the mature plant area (referred to as rebate allowance). Existing plants within the area of turf removal, such as trees, may be incorporated into the design and contribute to the rebate allowance total, provided they are on the Xeriscape Guide plant list, and are not designated high water use.
4. Spray irrigation is not permitted in the rebate area. Existing sprinklers shall be converted to a drip, bubbler system, or hand watered. If you hand water, plants must be one gallon or larger container stock. Areas watered with sprinklers, including micro-sprinklers, will not disqualify your project, but that area will be excluded from the rebate calculation.
5. The soil between the plants shall be covered with a minimum of 3 inches mulch. Common mulches are gravel, crusher fines or woodchips, but other materials may qualify. Impervious plastic is not permitted. Bulk orgamic mulch rebate available for xeriscape participants.
6. Residential Customers qualifying landscapes will receive a maximum of $2.00 for every square foot of high water use turf grass that is converted.
7. Receipts for plant purchase, irrigation equipment, mulch, or a landscape contractor (if used), shall be provided at final inspection.
Desert friendly landscape
- Xeriscaping Guide
- Desert Friendly Design Templates
- Rainwater Plant List
Interactive plant list tool created by the New Mexico Office of the State Engineer, for help in selecting low water use plants for your desert friendly landscapes